Saturday, October 22, 2016

Stitching Again


I am finally stitching again.  The first knuckle of my needle
pushing finger no longer bends thanks to the screw that holds
it together, but the finger is healed and I'm pain free.  Ye Haw!
 After a very discouraging attempt to hand sew a stuffed bear
that nearly ended in a tearful ceremonial cremation, I decided
I should do a simple project and slowly work toward
regaining mobility.  Duh! 
This past winter, I took time to do some ancestry research.
It's been on my bucket list to search for a descendant that might 
have served in the Revolutionary War.  I became a member of the 
Taneycomo Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in 
September through my 7th great grandfather Gen Matthew Locke.
This patriotic wool table mat was a good beginning project.
Big needle with big fat primitive stitches!
Easy and not so frustrating.
I had several ladies in the local DAR chapter that helped
me with research and my application, so I wanted to make
something patriotic as a thank you.  I also discovered a 5th
 cousin, several times removed.  Betty and I share the same
patriot and she kindly provided lots of historic information.
Stitching was very slow, but by the third snowman I
seemed to have better control of my stick finger.
We're having our girlfriends weekend the end of
October.  I thought needle holders would be a nice
gift for the ladies. 

My flowers are hydrangeas, 
made from french knots.  
My elder bachelor brother is doing very well since
 his stroke but will continue to stay with us.  The hubs
is doing great too.  He's fully recovered from neck
surgery.  He kept busy this summer in his wood shop and
is back enjoying sailing.  One of his recent projects is a 
dollhouse room box.  The hubs made the whole thing from 
scrap pieces of wood.  The finished floor is made
from teak wood, very pretty.  Thank ya' hubs.  
This will be a fun winter project.
 I have a few odd pieces of dollhouse furniture left in my attic stash.
They don't really go together, so it's going to be a "make do" eclectic
 kitchen and I'll search E-bay for a table and chairs and maybe a
china cabinet.
 My next stitching project is a dollhouse rug.
It's 5 1/4 inches round & stitched from single strand
embroidery thread, in french knots.  I think it will
take me all winter to complete.
Things are good at the cabin, I'm grateful.
Not sure I'll attempt dollies or clothing anytime
soon, but it's a joy to have a needle in
my hand again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can find the patterns I used in my projects here:
The Old Tattered Flag
Chickadee Hollow Designs
All Through The Night 
 Teresa Layman Designs-dollhouse rugs at:
The Silver Needle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY SEWING!

10 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're getting back into sewing. I know you do enjoy it and I love what you've been working on!!! Your stitches are perfect and no one would ever know that you weren't your old self. I bet you'll be back making doll clothes before you know it. Glad to hear all is well in the household and everyone is busy. I'm looking forward to our girls weekend together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear your finger has healed. I hope that it becomes easier with time to use it for all your special stitching that you do. You have been busy stitching and I like what you have made. Starting with the wool flag project. How special to find information on a relative and now you have put his name on your project in honor of his serving time in the Revolutionary War. A family heirloom it has become. Is that crayon drawing on the two Christmas Ornaments? Those will make lovely gifts and look great on the Christmas Tree. That is really a lot of french knots to make your flowers look so nice on the pin keeps. I will be super excited to see more on your miniature doll room box. I like the furniture pieces you have and know you will fix them up in the best way. And last the little rug you will be stitching all with french knots! Wow, it will be a treasure. Looks like you have plenty to keep your hands busy for a long time. So happy to hear family is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news from the cabin, for sure! Now we know that all of your talents weren't locked into that one finger! Great job on the stitching projects! The girls will love their needle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so good. I love the flag. and the ornaments and the sewing needle keepers. these are very handy too. Glad you are beginning to sew again. Such good news about your husband and your brother. You will have lots to do when the cold weather comes along. I enjoyed your post a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see a post from you! and to know your finger is better. These are great stitching projects you've shown! I love having lots of things waiting for the cold days of winter and I've been getting ahead of the season; can't let the crochet and quilt work wait! You know how much I love that dollhouse room and the precious furniture for it. Makes me want to get out the clothespin dolls and do something with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're stitching again and to be pain free! Starting with larger projects makes sense and less frustrating. I so love the vintage ornaments you've stitched. Beautiful!
    You're such a fortunate lady to have a hubs who can build doll rooms/houses for you. Glad he's doing better also. Can't even imagine having neck surgery.

    The doll furniture is splendid. You always make your doll's houses warm and cozy and I'm sure this will be grand when finished.

    The ladies are going to be thrilled with these lovely needle holders. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, bless your heart--I can imagine how much joy the stitching is bringing you now after so long without it. You have made some beautiful things--those little embroidered ornaments!!! Glad you and the hubs are able to get back to the things you love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW Sherri. All your items are awesome, LOVE your Stitchery's. I am doing the HapPy DaNcE for your recovery ! You go girl do not let any thing hold you back from creating your awesome talent!You sure have made some beautiful things, I am always in awe of you ! SO happy your back my sweet friend ! Hugs Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherri! Do you sell a pattern of your doll. I’m a doll maker. It’s my therapy! I love the way your dolls look. I always have issues with the neck with my pattern which causes mr a lot of trouble in finishing. Would appreciate if I could find a pattern that would eliminate that issue. Thank you! Linda🦋

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda,
    I do not sell patterns, I just draw parts on the fabric. Look at my post Making Sawdust Doll Bodies, in the Tutorials List. You will see what I often do to keep the stuffing (any kind) up in the neck. Hope this helps. Thank you for your kind comment. Sherri

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.