Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tarantula's On The Move

This time of year, the male tarantulas (aphonopelma  
hentzi) in our neck of this woods, are on the move 
during the day.  It's common to see them crossing the
 roads, or in the yard. This wandering phenomenon
 is probably due to a search for females.
 Even though they look rather scary, our tarantulas
 are shy, docile and non aggressive to people.  Males
 rarely live longer than a year, females can live for 30 
years.  Like other spiders, they are busy at night
searching for dinner.      
I don't mind them, as long as they don't sneak
up on me!

3 comments:

  1. Now that's a big creepy spider. Reminds me of the tarantulas we had in California when I was growing up (use to live in CA). I hated them. I'm glad we don't have those type of spiders here in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to see a lot of these critters, but rarely these days. Wondering why...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen a tarantula here. We have plenty of spiders, but not like this. I thought they were only out west. shows you what I know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.