Sunday, June 10, 2012

Name A Dolly?????

It used to be a struggle for me to come
up with Dolly names.  One day I was looking
around the local White River Valley Historical
Society's website and went to the marriage licenses
issued in Taney County during the mid
to late 1800's.
Not a problem any more, I'll have to make
quite a few dolls to use all these.  Check out your
local history for some period names.

Idelia
Etta
Eva
Fannie
Ida
Olive
Cora
Kitty
Ina
Eula
Lela
Maud
Lunda
Clemmie
Dorlutha
Viola
Josie
Mina
Luly
Alma
Oma
Audie
Callie
Permelia
Louvella
Mancy
Zella
Almeda
Missouri
Biddie
Delancey
Nanie
Adelia
Ora
Lucinda
May
Viola
Birdie
Minerva
Charity
Daisy
Melvina
Lacy
Inabelle
Rutha
Ella
Mamey
Isa
Melvina
Meranda
Vernie
Alma
Minnie
Maudie
Cassie
Vina
Casinthey
Iola
Malita
Minta
Rosena
Daisy
Dorlutha
Della Ann 


Unfortunatley they only listed middle initials.
It was common for girls to be given
 family names as their middle names.
For example, the Mother's or Grandmother's
maiden name.

My Mother's name is
Aletha Mae.  A very
pretty Ozark Country name!










6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list...may have to sneak away with a few of these! I am sure there would be many of the same names on a list from our county...will be interesting to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good list. I had trouble with the naming too. I went to several old graveyards and got a few names, but it still is hard to select the right name for each doll. There are some good ones on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Permelia, now that is a good one! :~) I don't think you could get away with that name in Vermont, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is that??? I grew up hearing double names in our family--my great aunts had boy-girl names like Jerrie-June and Jimmy-Sue...and my Granny was apparently named after a 3rd-century Queen of the Palmyrian Empire in Roman Syria: Evelyn Zenobia Shaw! Now I'm curious what kind of names I'll find around here.

    Thanks a LOT for the tangent, Sherri. I really needed more distractions in my life. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting names! My mother's name was Easter Lily; she was born on Easter Sunday in 1914.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful post! Love all the names. We named our Great Grandmother Gaga, because we couldn't pronounce Great Grandmother....her real name was Sudie.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.