Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunbonnet Sue With A Modern Twist

 Sunbonnet Sue is a childhood favorite of mine, I remember seeing her pictures in books, embroidered on tea towels, & appliqued on quilts.  Bertha Corbett Melcher is credited as a creator of the Sunbonnet designs. She illustrated children's Primer books in the early 1900s. Her book, "The Sunbonnet Babies" was published in 1900. In this book she depicted girls with their faces hidden by their bonnets. 
I recently finished this appliqued Sunbonnet Calendar Quilt adapted from a pattern in Patchwork Quilting, August 05. (It took me a long time to finish!)  My Mother kindly let me raid her button box for some wonderful old buttons.  Buttons from my Girl Scout uniform are on the March bonnet, and many of the others are from childhood dresses.
Sunbonnet Sue Calender Quilt

January
February
March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

I chose fabric by Mary Engelbreit for the back.  I love her colorful designs.

On the doll scene, I am stitching bodies!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherri, how beautiful! Your work is fabulous and your fabric choices are oh-so-wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, thanks to you I am going to make Tiger Lily from Peter Pan. Since I had originally signed up, I got back in! You are a great friend! I am still in awe over your Sunbonnet Sue dolls ...love them, I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing Tiger Lily!

      Delete
  3. I love your Sun Bonnet Sue calendar quilt. I started a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for my granddaughter 16 years ago but never finished it because I never had the time to work on it. I was inspired to make it because of one my mother did when she was a girl. After seeing yours I just might finish mine. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mine took forever and it just kept getting more complicated. I made mine for a future Granddaughter, but I'm 60 and don't have any Grandchildren yet! Perhaps that's why I make dolls and do silly things...........

      Delete
  4. I love this! I've always loved the Sunbonnet Sue shape, but the repeat seemed a little boring to me. You've juiced it up and made it so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to sleep last night thinking about Tiger Lily...silly I know, but I can sleep like a baby when I have some fun thing to think about. There's enough time during the day to worry about other things. I can certainly relate to your situation with your mother. My dad is almost 97 and not doing well at all right now. He still lives at home so his children (four besides me) are taking care of him, which is a huge responsibility. We are getting snow today...quite heavy right now. I am going out now to take a few pictures. Thanks again, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, your quilt is so pretty! I made a doll quilt in redwork embroidery in the Sunbonnet Sue monthly designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunbonnet Sue is very pretty done in redwork, I would love to see a photo!

      Delete
    2. There is a photo of the little quilt on the post for 11-13-10 titled Redwork. It's at the bottom of the post. Thanks for your interest.

      Delete
  7. The Suebonnet Sue Calendar Quilt is so beautiful! I wish I had that amazing talent! My mom used to make quilts and I treasure them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.