Friday, January 27, 2012

Ozark Button Bonnet

This Button Bonnet was made for my Mother
in the late 1950's or early 60's by an elderly neighbor. 
 Mother says this lady was in her late seventies, loved to work
 in her garden and always wore a bonnet outdoors.


Button Bonnets were not as common
as the Poke or Slat bonnet,
& were generally worn
for working.


It fastens together with buttons.
Looks a bit like Early America
air conditioning!


I don't know whether this was made from a 
printed purchased pattern, or one she
made from memory.

It is truly a wonderful example of
an Ozark work bonnet!

For those of you who sew..............
I am going to show several photos of the
 way it is constructed. 


This bonnet has slats too,
maybe I should call it a Slat Button Bonnet.








  Fabric is cotton.
The three buttons are shell.


Mother remembers she owned a little treadle machine.


She has used white cotton rick-rack, and
cotton white bias tape that appears to be homemade.




These are the original cardboard slats.
They could be easily removed
for washing and ironing.


The button holes are hand sewn.


I am amazed at the amount of detail that has gone
into the construction of this bonnet.  If you attempt to
adapt this bonnet into one of your own, please
 send me a photo.  I would love to see your creations.

I am going to TRY and make a doll
bonnet from this design.

9 comments:

  1. You will not believe this Sherri, I have a button bonnet just like this one. I found it in a Flea Market many years ago and just love it. At the time I thought how unusual it was. I wear it at our Cabin in Colorado and think I left it out there.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful. I would love to see a photo when you can get one!

      Delete
  2. Lovely!!! Just devine and well made.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about where you live, but a bonnet like that would be a blessing down here with that nice ventilation in the back. :~P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my grandmother wearing a bonnet like this when she worked in her garden or hung clothes outside to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry,

    Love the bonnet ! Cute design and very clever. Thank you for sharing the design.

    I have one of my Grandmother's bonnets ( she was born in 1886. ) She always wore her bonnet when she was at home and always wore an apron.

    My mother had a treadle sewing machine and that is what I learned to sew on. You can't beat those old machines. They would sew thru anything.. not like the junk they make today...give me the old fashioned ones !

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a little treadle and is sews beautifully. I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the button bonnet and it's construction.

      Delete
  6. I am a redhead and my grandmother made me a slat bonnet when I was little so I wouldnt sunburn so much. I wish I still had it, but that was over 50 years ago. I may just make me a new one. I sew on a Singer model 66 treadle now and love it. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed the photos, hopefully you will be able to make your own. I was always jealous of my sister's lovely thick, curly red hair!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.